Monday, April 11, 2011

I should be registering.

I actually can't register until tomorrow morning at 11 AM. But I should be planning my summer/fall classes so I'm ready for tomorrow. Instead, I'm blogging. What's life without whimsy?

I feel like I've always been the person you hit up for advice when you need it. Actually, I know I have been that person haha. I'm a very empathetic person, and even if I've never been in a specific situation, I usually know what should be done. Throughout the years, I've realized that listening and saying nothing is sometimes just as, if not more, effective than trying to come up with a monologue on how everything will be okay and perfect again. This is mainly because a lot of the time, it won't be perfect (or at least the same) again. But that's okay. As a species, we like regularity in our schedules (no laxative jokes please) and we hate change. We all need to realize that change is often a wonderful thing, and although it's not comfortable at first, it's necessary. BUT I DIGRESS. I was talking to one of my friends the other day and she said "Ryan, just do what makes you happy." It is such a simple piece of advice that seems like it should be so blatantly obvious to me, but I realized something. More often than not, when we are in a tough situation we look for this mystic, complex answer that is buried beneath layers and layers of self reflection, and the real answer is so simple and easy that it seems like it will definitely be ineffective. I just recommend doing what makes you happy. Obviously, you can't do everything that makes you happy. If your happiness stems from an excessive use of hookers and cocaine, I think you need to take up a more therapeutic hobby, such as gardening. But if you have a situation in your life that seems complicated and you feel you need to seek out the wisdom of every Mohammed, Jesus, and Ghandi you know, you really don't. Just think about what decision will make you happy, and even if it still entails some difficulties, it will be worth it. You just do what you want to do and if others don't understand it, that's okay. If you understand your reasoning and are happy with yourself and your choice, then the best person to go to for advice is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment